Friday, September 17, 2010

Good morning !!!

It's very strange how we go about our every day life like mechanized beings; each thing is a routine and there is nothing we look forward to... I began my day in the same fashion.

It was a usual battle of rejection as it is every morning - rejection by every rickshaw guy who i ask 'oh-so-kindly' to take me to office. But then as i was thinking of how this had become a daily occurence, along came a rickshaw with a smiling face showing on the windscreen. He agreed and very sweetly asked me to get in. As i began to dig my bag for my MP3 player to take my mind off everything else, he began a conversation. I usually hate having conversations, coz they usually only involve them complaining about the traffic, or arguing against my selection of route or fare.. But he says " so how are you today ?" ...

How are you today... How are you today .... oh my godddd !!! since when did a stranger ask you something like this with a warm smile on his face and timed it oh so correctly when my day had just begun sooooo badly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, i silently held on to MP3 and my bag, waiting to see how the conversation progresses... My mind starts thinking ' crazy, psycho man; unnecessary talk, blabbering away' but slowly i get reeled into the conversation and my MP3 slowly slides back into my bag...

I dont think i have heard someone speak such impeccable english in a long time, no no i am not talking about myself, my rickshaw guy was like a global traveller. My 20 minute ride to office was filled with stories of France, Switzerland and USA.. He tells me the story of his post retirement life, how what he planned failed for him and then inspite of having children livng in Switzerland and USA; he decided to begin working again as an entrepreneur. His financial status didn't let him employ anyone so he rides the rickshaw himself... The best is the way he leaves you, a sweet greeting ' have a nice day' and ' god bless you' ....

My God !! would i do that ... I dont mean to be prejudiced or biased in any way but no.. i dont think i would... I see the happiness in his eyes in simply serving the passenger and no quarms of having to work at this age... Wow; really Wow !!!!

Kudos to Mr A.N Fernandez !!!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful experience! Restores my faith in the human race (and auto drivers, though for some time now I had been under the impression that these folks are from some other species!) And well written. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete