Wednesday, October 2, 2013

One year older ...

My birthday tops my list of celebrations in the year. It is above any Diwali or Christmas and any vacation I may take and therefore September is the best month of them all for me. I am one of those who loves my birthday and more often than not, I begin planning for it myself. It starts with what I would wear = what i need to shop, where i will celebrate, who is going to be there and even sometimes whether I am going to celebrate it at all. Needless to say I love surprises, and I am the easiest one to surprise. I do not go into detective mode when one friend says lets just do dinner, nice and simple; I do not ask extra questions when friends inquire if I have plans with family on the day. Better to tell them my plans, don't you think otherwise how will plan the surprise :D

Age is usually a fact that puts off people from celebrating their birthdays. They do not want to be called one year older. "OLD" is an abuse almost - most still want to be 16. Me.. I do not want to go back to being 16. Why ??? Do you know what I was like when I was 16; not fun really. Fresh out of school and no idea about the world and what I want of it; that was the plain, stupid 16 year old me. Now who wants to go back being the clueless, goal lacking and also importantly penniless me .. Nooo thank you !!!

While I occasionally crib about getting old, age does not bother me. Hell yeah, I am 28 and I am lovin' it. I love every birthday I celebrate and that's my chance to reflect on the year gone by and see all the wonderful things come my way. Fine, so some years bring a few more downs  than ups but the ups do come around. Some things like to stick around year on year - a wavering bank account, a new ( and .. umm failed) diet plan with all the green tea and steamed veggies, a new (and eventually conquered by laziness) exercise regime, a new favourite genre of music, a different style of fashion. Heart breaks or new love adds a spark to the flash back on certain birthdays - then again what would life be with out them right ! Discovering a new place, an fun filled weekend trip, celebrations through the year add so much colour to my year.

My birthday flashback shows me all this and soo much more. However apart from all this, it teaches me one new thing about myself; and this revelation excites me the most. To borrow from my little left knowledge of Psychology, this revelation helps expand the "open" area and narrow down the "blind" as well as the "unknown" quadrants of my Johari Window. This, ladies and gentlemen, is usually the best birthday gift I get and they stick with me. So tell me why wouldn't I be excited about turning one year older !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment